RED VELVET COOKIE SANDWICHES
(Makes 24 cookies or 16 cookie sandwiches)
For the Cookies:
175g Unsalted Butter, softened
300g Caster Sugar
2tsp Vanilla Extract
1tbsp Red Food Colouring
225g Plain Flour
25g Cocoa Powder
½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
50g White Chocolate Chips (optional)
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
100g Unsalted Butter, softened
250g Icing Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Extract
100g Cream Cheese, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 190C or 170C if using a fan oven. Line three baking trays with parchment paper and set aside. Alternatively, bake the cookies in batches.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and soft. Add the egg, followed by the vanilla and mix well. Add the food colouring, flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda and mix until just combined. Add the white chocolate chips and fold through.
3. Chill the cookie dough for 10 minutes before rolling into 24 x 1tbsp balls and divide between the baking trays. Bake for 12 minutes and leave to cool on the trays.
4. For the cream cheese filling, mix the butter and sugar together with the vanilla, add the cream cheese and beat until smooth.
5. Spoon or pipe the filling into the sandwiches and enjoy!